Thursday, July 12, 2012

MY BAGS ARE PACKED AND I'M READY TO GO . . .

In August 2011, I traveled to Peru with my good friend The Doctor.  In spite of some complications - my flight being canceled, delaying my departure to Lima by three days, and The Doctor suffering from a bout of Soroche in the high altitudes of Lake Titicaca - the trip was largely a success.  The highlight of our trip was the two days we spent exploring Machu Picchu. These ancient and mysterious ruins perched precariously on a steep mountainside are considered to be one of the Seven Wonders Of The World. 

At the end of our Peruvian adventure we began discussing our next trip.  It was quickly decided we should see another of the world's seven wonders, and decided on the ruins of Chichen Itza in Mexico.  It is my hope that we can eventually make it to all seven, (plus the Great Pyramid of Giza, the status of which is currently listed as "Honorary Candidate"). After several months of planning we are ready to go and will be flying out of Boston at 7:00 AM tomorrow morning.  Yes, tomorrow . . . Friday the 13th . . .

In addition to Chichen Itza (or "It's a Chicken", as The Doctor and I have started calling it), we will be visiting Isla Holbox where we have a Whale Shark swim scheduled, and Tulum, which is also famous for its own set of ruins.  I have been to the Tulum ruins before, on a Caribbean cruise a few years ago. These ruins are built on a cliff overlooking the ocean, with a set of treacherous wooden stairs leading down to a beach popular for swimming. This beautiful beach is listed as one of the top 10 in the world by Conde Nast, and is listed on other "best beach" lists as well. 

Compared to some of the difficulties we encountered while planning our trip to Peru (mostly due to language barriers - contrary to what the guidebooks told us, our experience was that English is not widely spoken in Peru), most of our plans for Mexico have fallen into place rather easily.  The Doctor booked our flights and made the arrangements for the Whale Shark swim in Holbox, and I took care of our accommodations.  We will be staying in four different hostels as we travel around to our different destinations (private rooms with private bathrooms at all the hostels - I don't do the dorm style rooms!), and ending our trip with three nights at a very nice all inclusive gay resort called Adonis Tulum.  The resort features several restaurants, a pool, a jacuzzi in each room, and - my favorite - a clothing optional beach!  Whether or not I can convince The Doctor to take advantage of this beach remains to be seen, but it won't be due to lack of effort on my part . . .

I had initially booked our stay at Adonis through Expedia, but later found I could get a cheaper rate by booking directly through Adonis' web site. After making the reservation directly with the resort, I received a confirmation e-mail from someone named Ruby.  Her e-mail began with "Dear Mr. Ponte, Are you Mr. Scheppy the same visit us on Dec. 6th/8th, 2008? . . . " 

I am a little confused as to how Ruby could mistake me for Mr. Scheppy, considering she had already addressed me by my correct name.  I am now very curious about Scheppy, and will be keeping my eye out for him . . .

In response to The Doctor's reservation with Holbox Whale Shark Tours, he received an e-mail from someone who calls himself "Whale Shark Daddy".  He was kind enough to send directions from Cancun to Chiquila where we have to get a water taxi to Holbox.  The directions consist of a little more than a page of detailed driving instructions, but the one that jumped out at me was #7.  It reads: "Maybe 1/4 mi later on this short Dirt Road will be a House on your Right.  Usually theres a Guy there Collecting "TOLLS" 10 Pesos or ONE US Dollar.  If hes not there, or sleeping you can usually PASS for FREE W/O difficulty." 

This "Guy" sounds like quite the entrepreneur, setting up a little toll booth in front of his house.  I'm not sure what sort of "difficulty" we might encounter if we neglect to pay the 10 Pesos, but we'll probably leave it on his hammock if he's taking his siesta, just to avoid any unwanted complications. 

Further on the directions read: "Next is the Big Town of Kantunilkin . . . . . Continue on Nice wide 2 lane roads NO BANDITOS!"  Does this leave open the possibility that we may be encountering Banditos prior to this point? 

Perhaps I am being naive, but I am not terrible concerned about Banditos.  Nor am I worried about the drug cartels, though my co-workers are fairly certain that I will be decapitated by some ruthless drug lord (perhaps again due to a mistaken identity with a certain Mr. Scheppy???)  After many urgent warnings regarding the drug cartels from my concerned co-workers, I checked with the U.S. State Dept.  They do issue many dire warnings for various regions of Mexico, but concerning the regions of Yucatan and Quintana Roo where we will be doing our traveling, their web sites states simply: "No advisory is in effect". 

The one part of our trip I am a little nervous about is the Whale Shark Swim.  I'm not concerned about the encounter itself.  Apparently, like both The Doctor and myself, Whale Sharks are vegetarians, and as long as we are not mistaken for a savory piece of plankton, we should survive more or less in tact.  What I am nervous about is my lack of swimming ability.  I am not afraid of the water, but had never learned to swim. 

In anticipation of the Whale Shark Swim, I joined a local health club several months ago, and signed up for a six week adult beginners swim class.  Six weeks later, I still didn't know how to swim.  I don't seem to have the coordination required to move my arms, kick my feet, and turn my head to breathe properly all at the same time.  I seem to be able to move through the water OK, but run into trouble when I need to breathe.  It looks like everyone is required to wear some sort of life jacket on the Whale Shark swim, so I am not too concerned about drowning, I'm just not sure exactly how much I will get out of the experience just bobbing on the surface of the water like a lifeless buoy.  And of course more importantly, I don't want to make a fool out of myself . . . The Doctor, on the other hand, is a licensed scuba diver, and therefore a good swimmer, and he is looking forward to this experience as the highlight of our trip.  Hopefully I'll manage to have a good time.

Fortunately the swim is scheduled near the beginning of our trip, so if it does not go well at least I will have gotten it over with early . . . and will still have Adonis and its clothing optional beach to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment